If you’ve been hit over the head it can take up to 24 hours (and sometimes more) for symptoms to occur EVEN IF THERE IS SERIOUS DAMAGE.
If you’ve been hit over the head you may need to go to hospital to get checked out.
Please attend the nearest Emergency Department if you have any of the following symptoms:
- you were knocked unconscious by the blow to your head
- you have memory loss around the time of your injury
- you have a severe headache
- you are nauseous or being sick
- you feel dizzy
- you become forgetful
- you are disorientated
- you are becoming drowsy
- you have unequal size pupils (the black part in the centre of the eye)
- you have vision problems
- have had another head injury recently
You can see from the symptoms above that you might not realise anything is wrong. If you suffer a head injury:
- Tell your friends what happened and what symptoms to look out for
- Tell them if you are allergic to anything or have any other medical problems
Also, you can see from the list above that drugs and alcohol could result in many of the same symptoms.
- Please don’t drink alcohol or take drugs for 24 hours after a head injury- it may result in serious symptoms being missed