CALL FOR ACTION FROM THE URBAN SPACE AT ESF ATHENS MAY 2006
The movements of the European Network struggling for housing rights -Habitat International Coalition, International Alliance of Inhabitants, No Vox and the Greek Initiative for the Right to the City – are calling for all social organisations to adopt housing as a key social issue and to join us in action around 2nd October 2006 (World Habitat Day).
We demand that governments:
1. Implement the right to decent, sustainable housing for all, without discrimination, and that this right has legal enforcement
2. Defend and develop:-
a) public and not for profit housing sectors, which are democratically controlled;
b) public space and public urban planning;
c) public services such as water, public transport and energy.
3. Regulate the real estate market and rental housing to put a stop to
speculation, privatisation and high rents.
4. Halt forced evictions and demolitions and the destruction of popular
neighbourhoods and shanty towns.
this call for action emanated from the following workshops held in Athens:
– “Development of European mobilisation against the violations of housing
– “Participatory governance in European cities: struggling against or
abiding for neoliberalism?”
– “The crisis of European urban periphery”
– “Globalisation, real-estate speculation and the city: international
strategies and action”
– “Real-Estate Speculation, Globalisation and the City” 05-01-2006
– “The role of the city in an alternative Europe: towards housing and