1. Measure out FLOUR, CORNFLOUR, BAKING POWDER, SALT and sift into large bowl.
2. Measure out SUGAR and sift into separate bowl.
3. Cut chilled MARGARINE into the flour and rub it in using the tips of fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add SUGAR.
5. Have some COLD WATER ready in a cup and add 3 TABLESPOONS and begin to mix in to form a firm dough that will roll into a ball. Add more water very gradually at this stage as too much will spoil the pastry – the less the better!
6. Turn into a polythene bag and refrigerate for half an hour. (This quantity is enough for making 36 mince pies, any not used can be frozen).
MAKING MINCE PIES
7. Grease a 12 cup bun baking tray for making pies.
8. Begin by using around a quarter of the chilled pastry on a floured surface and roll with floured rolling pin into a flat shape. If the dough is right then this will be easy and there will be no sticking to the rolling pin.
9. Use PASTRY CUTTERS (improvise with a lid from a jar!) to cut the right size of circle to fit baking tin shape.
10. Put a teaspoonful of mincemeat into each pie. Do not overfill.
11. Now cut a smaller circle of PASTRY to act as a lid to the mince pie.
12. With a PASTRY BRUSH wet the edges of the pies and wet the inside edge of the pastry lid. Place on top of each pie, pressing edges to stick together.
13. Use a FORK to make a pattern on the rim of pastry.
14. Brush tops with SOYA MILK and sprinkle with DEMERARA SUGAR.
15. Finally, use the thin end of a teaspoon to make a small hole in the centre of each pie.
16. Bake at 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Leave in tray for 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
* Sunflower margarines are best for baking. BIONA ORGANIC SUNFLOWER VEGETABLE MARGARINE and SUMA SUNFLOWER are particularly good because they contain palm oil.
* The CO-OP do a nice light mincemeat that is Vegan and economical to buy.
* Mince Pies freeze well.