We created a new “page” on the main site titled ASU Police Budget 2013.
It contains ASUPD’s FY 2013 budget; all department requisitions for training and equiptment; credit card statements for state-issued credit cards; travel reimbursment receipts; and petty cash receipts.
It will take a little time to upload and sort the documentation in its entirety, so please be patient.
The questionable budget and the alleged noncompliance with the Clery Act are the Achilles’ heel for the ASU PD and university.
Amazing. Simply amazing. So how much did they leave out? Does it all add up to 11 million? I noticed that some people get denied for free training relevant to their job while others get approved expensive training up and above their requirements.
I simply don’t understand what logical reason you would have to deny free training to someone who wants it? Is it because trained people are marketable to other departments? If someone disagrees please explain.
This budget looks more like a mess of stacked purchase orders than a annual budget. Noticed a few things worth mentioning.
1. If the chief is still getting his uniform allowance then why are we paying $86.85 for his polo shirts on 07/18/12?
2. What’s up with the random reoccurring payments to ASU Parking services for $40.00? We are paying commander M. Rourke to shop stamps because we don’t keep a stock of them?
3. Rosemary is spending $750.00 to send people to the 100 club banquest 02-28-13.
4. All of the membership fees for the chief and assistant chiefs run into the 1000’s, state pays it
5. Commander Speranza goes to the Disneyland hotel for ATAP (Annual Threat Conference) “training” 02-08-13
A. Basic course fee $510.00
B. Travel using personal vehicle $150.00
C. Meals $265.00
D. Disneyland Hotel 4 nights $819.00
6. Dumbwoody upgraded his K9 pager system for $1246.67 citing the old one as “unreliable and out of date” I thought he was talking about his position, my mistake. This was to warn if the inside vehicle temp gets too high. 1st. Take your dog with you. 2nd. We have a policy not to walk away from your vehicle leaving it on with the keys inside.
7. On 03-05-13 Aston has his name on a training req, but Phill is the applicant for rifle armorer school citing the department “has 72 rifles soon to be deployed” so he needs to attend this school to armor them. Seeing as only the firearms clique has rifles on patrol and it’s half way through 2014 what happened? We spent $475.00 for him to go 10-6 armory and play with guns nobody is authorized to carry. Next pages shows Phil as the sole applicant, so he went or they both went.
8. On 03-18-13 Kiefling spent $4000.00 for a “Triennial Survey and Report” from the “The Behavior Research Center” for “the Clery document”.
9. It cost 70.00 for any person in the department to have business cards. FI cards aren’t good enough, generic cards for the department you can write your name on the back?
10. The acrylic plaques for people leaving are 40+
11. Apparently we spend a fortune on audio visual equipment. I’m not even a small fraction into the budget and I’m at $8,000.
12. 03-31-13 Aston breaks his personal M4 rifle butt stock “damaged and rendered inoperable” at a training event and bills the department for it. What the hell did he do to break it? Warriors have been using them overseas in combat, but he breaks one in training? Was he posing like a swimsuit girl again?
13.04-02-13 command staff has a meeting and orders 4 pizzas for itself from Pizza Hut. When was the last time they did that for a patrol squad? Never
14. 03-19-13 Nick Scichilone attends a firearm instructor course for $1262.10 Meals listed at $590.00, hotel $672.10, apparently the course was free.
15. Orr buys a lot of 223 ammunition, but how many of our non-firearms clique patrol members are rifle cert?
16. Dunwoody buying $1000.00 worth of spy gear cameras. Catch any criminals with that?
I’m only about 140 pages into this and I’m wondering where 11 million is? I’m not seeing it.
Is it me or are they including the same requisitions more than once? An audit will show everything, provide an idea at least for what amount is missing. It’s worth considering this budget was put together under duress, so malicious compliance could have played a role. Any shortfall from the total amount will just lead to more finger pointing. It’s a good thing the chief won’t be far away to answer any questions!
It would be nice to see this stack of po’s and credit card charges broken into department categories within the department. This is nearly 400 documents, so it’s quite a task. I enjoy seeing where the they are spending the money for raises we can’t get year after year. Of course their people seem to get their money, no problem. Good job on exposing more farce!
Lol. Is this going to prompt another great and all powerful OZ email from Kevin Salcido claiming safety concerns and security issues? He speaks on all those issues for the chief, so he must be an expert. It looks like command puts in for a lot of uniform requisitions that may be tied to the free lunch program. Cause and effect.
At this point they will probably silence him seeing he doesn’t have enough sense to act responsibly.
Judging from the different times I browsed through, this will take a lot of work to go through. I won’t put my name on it but maybe someone will do an audit request?
After all the independent LE accreditation folks said money wasn’t accounted for back in 2010. Who knows what they will find from gross incompetence to felonies?
WheresMy907, thank you for your post. This should be interesting with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA®) looming on the horizon for the ASU PD.
“The questionable budget and the alleged noncompliance with the Clery Act is the Achilles’ heel for the ASU PD and university.” Embudo
They need to be auditted because there are plenty of stories about “where did all that money go?”
Nice looking resource, but after seeing how ASU Police is run I’m skeptical of working within the university for resolutions. Look at how Kevin I don’t care Salcido, the head of human resources behaves and thinks of everyone who disagrees with how the department is run.
He’s running his mouth comparing us to rascist cop killer domestic terrorists. Idiotic crap you would expect from a flaming liberal public and not a director of human resources who is supposed to be a problem solver.
Someone needs to make a hard copy of the contents of the blog and mail them personally to all the people doing the CALEA accreditation on ASU. I’m sure they would love that.
Good luck trying to unfuck this mess, Command Staff. You guys should do us all a favor and resign.
They are paying the CALEA people a lot of money to hear what they want to hear, get the bragging rights and get the stickers to throw on the cars.
If the chief is still getting his uniform allowance then why are we paying $86.85 for his polo shirts on 07/18/12?
Because dirty chief is pocketing money from the uniform allowance he took from us and making the department fund his already paid for uniform needs.
Years of integrity issues like this in command are what inspired this blog.
Is this the only budget you have? I downloaded it before you took it down. Do you know if the police department has a financial plan at the beginning of the year for annual expected expenses or do they draw up requisitions at random as things come up?
Also for the chief’s credit cards are there explanations of what the charges were for or is there no accountability for those accounts? Is there any accountability for petty cash expenses? I’m just starting to look into this and would be happy to see any insights you may have I’m not aware of.
For some of the information you asked for a reply will be sent privately to the email you listed for contact.
Your interest is appreciated because these issues are a matter of public concern.
I only read through a quarter of this and didn’t see an overall summary. When you are done redacting can you put one up?