NOT ONLY PROFIT and EXPLOITATION — WAL-MART and OTHERS MUST COME AND SHARE RESPONSIBILITY FOR SAFE WORK PLACE
National Garment Workers Federation ( NGWF )
In a press conference at 11 a.m in Dhaka Unity Hall reporters room , NGWF president Amirul haque Amin mentioned this on behalf of the NGWF. He also added that Wal-mart and other companies – those sourcing from Tazrin fashion and factories in RANA plaza must compensate the Dead’s families, Injured workers and take responsibility for proper treatment , Compensate all workers of Tazrin and 5 factories in rana plaza. NGWF also added Wal-mart , Gap and other companies must sign the Fire and building safety accord , these have yet to sign . They mentioned yesterday 23.05.13 , 38 companies signed the accord. NGWF mentioned today 24th may is 6 months since Tazrin Fire and 1 month since Rana Plaza collapse. In the press conference , besides NGWF other leaders , 42 injured and family members of the dead of Tazrin and 35 of Rana plaza were present.
In the press conference NGWF raised 7 points as :
1. Proper and sufficient treatment for all injured of Rana Plaza and Tazrin.
2. Immediate support for all victims – families of the dead, and injured of both Rana plaza and Tazrin.
3. 3 month salary as compensation for all workers working in these factories.
4. Compensation for all dead families and injured in the line of Loss of earnings.
5. Murder cases should be filed for the highest punishment against the owners of Tazreen Fashions, Rana plaza and 5 factories in rana plaza.
6. Wal-Mart, Gap and others companies must sign the Accord to ensure SAFE WORPLACE for the garment workers .
7. For ensuring Living wage the MNC,s must pay fair price for the garment products and have to build long term business relationship.
In the press conference NGWF also demanded withdrawal of all legal , written and unwritten barriers for the exercise of trade union rights in the garment sector.
National Garment Workers Federation