Extremism is a word used so often as to be virtually meaningless; I’ve been called an ‘extremist’ myself a few times, I’m passionate about what I do and believe in. If I were half-hearted about something I wouldn’t bother with it.
However, I do consider the following points of view to be extreme:
- That one person’s working day is worth 1000 times as much as another’s.
- That the site of a person’s birth should determine their treatment by their fellow human beings in any particular location.
- That a few hundred people can determine how several million people should live.
- That it’s acceptable to kill indiscriminately in pursuit of an ideology or material advantage.
- That a hypothesis, for which there is no evidence, and on which there is no consensus, is worth fighting for or against.
- That one person can hold another to account for their thoughts and emotional responses.
So not believing in capitalism, nationalism, government, warfare, religion and formal relationships makes me a moderate, really.