Solidarity call out for ROZBRAT

Squatted since 1994, Rozbrat in Poznan Poland is under threat of eviction. The squat is underlined by the principle of free housing for free people, an open community outside of the establishment host to alternative culture and independent thought. It currently operates as a home for 20 people and a permanent homeless shelter.

Whilst having ambiguous legal status, a debt company in ownership of the land is preparing for the selling off of the site in auction. This will implicate Rozbrat in an eviction attempt in the near future, entailing a convoluted and expensive legal battle in order to defend the site.

Any able to afford solidarity donations please do so or share:

BIGBPLPW 03 1160 2202 0000 0002 3589 7475 with reference “Donation to save Rozbrat”. 

Image result for rozbrat

Tidemill Gardens destroyed

Last wednesday, a greatly loved community wildlife garden in Deptford was finally ravaged in the face of a years long campaign for its safeguarding. In spiteful irony, the day before Lewisham council declared climate emergency, 74 trees were bulldozed on the site and the land left bereft of life. Heavy weight machinery was coopted by the council for the job operated by SDL Solutions; with the laughable gall to claim their green badge by producing ‘renewable’ wood chip fuel.

Absolute shame to Lewisham council, who have shown malignant disregard for the concerns of the community, Peabody and the hired thugs who are so set on making this city toxic. The battle continues.

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

Solidarity with Grow Heathrow

The squatted site, in protest of the expansion of the airport, has been under threat of eviction since 2017. They’re now facing new potential siege from the National Eviction Team as the front part of the site has had possession order reinstated this month. Call out for support defending the site.

With any luck their 9th birthday party can go ahead regardless.

Image may contain: text

Government says “crack down” on unauthorised Traveller camps imminent

The Home Secretary, Sajid Javid, has released a statement promising a “crack down” on unauthorised Traveller camps amid press reports that the Government is set to pass laws that will criminalise trespass.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid said in a statement released today that there was a widespread perception that the law does not apply to Travellers and that this is “deeply troubling.”

“The vast majority of Travellers were law-abiding citizens – but Illegal* sites often give an unfair, negative image of their community and cause distress and misery to those who live nearby,” he said.

Sajid David also referred to last year’s government consultation in June about unauthorised Traveller camps and unauthorised Traveller site developments.

“The result of our initial consultation was clear – people want to see greater protection for local communities and for the police to be given greater power to crack down on trespassers.”

Making trespass by Travellers illegal – *currently it is a civil offence and not a criminal one – was one of the actions mooted in the consultation. Yet police chiefs who took part in it said they did not want more powers.Instead the police chiefs said more sites, including transit sites, should be built.

Reports in the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail said that Sajid Javid would “unveil further details later today.” However, when the Travellers’ Times contacted the Home Office press team, they could not say when, or if this, was going to happen.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid – “pandering to far-right racism” says MP David Lammy

The anti-Traveller statement from Sajid Javid was made only hours after he was accused by influential Black MP David Lammy of “pandering to far-right racism” because of the Home Office’s policy of deporting people to Jamaica who had been in the UK since childhood.

A spokesperson from the Travellers’ Times said:

“We are concerned and alarmed to hear that the government will be giving police more powers to evict unauthorised Traveller camps. These are powers that even the National Police Chiefs Council said they did not want in their submission to the consultation on this late last year. There has also been no mention yet of any provision of transit sites or other temporary stopping schemes – like negotiated stopping – to provide for mobile and homeless Travellers who have nowhere else to put their caravans.”

“After the results of the consultation have been sitting on the Home Secretary’s desk gathering dust for months, we suddenly hear about it through the Daily Telegraph who seem to know more about Javid’s anti-Traveller plans than his own office. We believe that this is an ill thought out and rushed out response to a national consultation that was deeply flawed in the first place, and we are suspicious that Travellers are once again being used as a political football to distract from the Governments handling of Brexit.”

By TT News

https://www.travellerstimes.org.uk/news/2019/02/government-says-crack-down-unauthorised-traveller-camps-imminent?fbclid=IwAR3MlTa90U85ZFiFoZm_iGYhH_I38_yur5b8D0zbaN4TaWRCw5f6eIm-1BQ