Call out from SHquatters Housing Action Group
URGENT WARNING – ONE MONTH TO GO – GOVERNMENT CONSULTATION ENDS OCTOBER 5th
THIS NEW LAW WILL AFFECT ALL OUR RIGHTS TO PROTEST, TRESPASS AND SQUAT – WILL AFFECT STUDENT AND WORKER OCCUPATIONS, AND TENANTS RIGHTS
1 Squatters Housing Action Group meet next Monday the 12th September at Passing Clouds, 1 Richmond Road Dalston, E1 8AA: banner making and preparation for Big Action on Thursday
Thursday 15th September: Picnic Action. Meet at noon just outside Oval tube station. Be prepared for day of walking and defending our rights to protest. Bring food to share. More updates squattershousingactiongroup.wordpress.com
2. Land and Freedom Camp on Clapham Common, September 17th to 25th: lots of good things, workshops, pedal power, cinema. There is a group of cyclists going from Camden to Chile that day and the camp is their first stop. Check http://landandfreedom.squat.net or email
3. DSEI arms fair takes place at ExCel London from the 13th to the 16th of September. http://www.dsei.co.uk
4. SQUASH have published a quick guide to replying to the consultation paper ‘Options for Dealing with Squatters’
These are available at http://www.squashcampaign.org/2011/08/squashs-guidelines-for-responding-to-the-consultation/
5. Our application to 38 degrees for an online petition is gathering steam but needs more votes before it is hosted. Please visit http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/2137333-resist-the-criminalisation-of-squatting?ref=title
You are allowed 3 votes per email address and comments are appreciated. 38 degrees has helped stop the government’s plans to sell off the UKs ancient national forests, helped stop Donald Trump’s plans to build a golf course at the expense of families in Menie, Scotland, who were at risk of eviction, and is now campaigning widely to save the NHS from the current government s plans.
6. Early Day Motion 2114: http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-12/2114 .This parliamentary paper, Homelessness and Squatting, has already received 18 signatures, please contact your MP if they have not already signed the paper. Mike Weatherley s anti-squatting Early Day Motion 1545 only received 23 votes.
7. The eviction date for Dale Farm residents has been set on 19th September, although there is reason to believe they will try to evict the activists before this date. There is a demo this Saturday the 10th, meet at 1pm to march from Wickford train station to the Dale Farm site. Contact
to find or confirm transport leaving from near you. or check http://dalefarm.wordpress.com
Please network these actions onto any other lists, twitter it, send us email addresses to add to our contact lists
One month to go – Happy Networking !!
Whatever they say, squatting will stay !!!