Get free, anonymous blogs at NETWORK23.ORG…
Why should I?
The bigger corporate blog and web site providers such as blogger or wordpress.com are required to hand over the details of users to the authorities. We don’t keep any details to hand over (apart from your email). We think this project is a good way to support freedom of expression, decentralisation of online content and the open web.
Sign up today
Head right on over to our Sign-Up Page.
If you have a WordPress.com or Blogger blog you can move your blog here easily. Check out Help / FAQ page.
What will my web site or blog do?
The site is based on the free WordPress software. WordPress provide their software freely via WordPress.org and a commercial version of Network23.org’s service through WordPress.com. Have a read of this page for more information on the difference between WordPress.com, WordPress.org and Network23.org. Network23 includes a number of what are called plugins. These provide extra exciting functionality that allow you to do things on your blog such as:
- Install different themes and change the look of your site
- Events Calendar
- Uploading short audio reports
- Photo Blogging
- Embedding Video and longer audio bits from other sites
- Cross posting to Twitter anonymously
- Encrypted web site hosting using SSL and HTTPS (read more)
If there are things you thing your blog should be able to do but can’t then you can request a plug-in from us. When we are reviewing plugins we look for the following things.
- easy to maintain
- source code is on the wordpress.org site so that it is more likely to be reviewed for security
- the code gets updated regularly and bugs fixed, people say ‘it works’ on it’s page on wordpress.org
- support questions in the forum get answered
- easy to maintain!
What will my site NOT do?
This is a free resource that we need to share out amongst ourselves. There’s the capacity for all your text content, file uploads, images, and audio; but we do ask that you take note of the following:
- No uploading video directly to the site: it’s just too big. You can embed or link to video uploaded elsewhere to your Network23 site, so it’ll end up looking the same anyway.
- We can handle audio, but ask that you don’t upload files of more than 10 megabytes (MB) directly to your site: we recommend archive.org for doing this.
We provide you with up to 150 megabytes of on-line storage with your new blog by default. Should you require me space then please email us to ask for more as and when you need it; we’ll allocate space to people as an when it’s requested and depending on how much we have.
We have a policy of no unnecessary data retention. We don’t hold any other personal details apart from your email so your email is the only information that we can be legally forced to hand over. Your email address is stored on the server to send you password resets and to contact you with technical information or for legal reasons. If you can be traced by your email address then this data may end up in the wrong hands if the server were to be seized. Be aware of this. We suggest that you apply from a secure email address if you can. We suggest aktivix.org or riseup.net as email providers. We discourage users from posting other people’s personal details and we may remove personal details from posts.
Take down notices
If we receive a legally binding take down notice we will contact you and try to support you. To do this you need to be able to reply to the emails we send you within a reasonable time. If you don’t we may have to take the website offline until you do get back to us. We don’t guarantee to keep up a website if there are serious legal implications but this may change if we find people who are prepared to do legal work on your behalf and keep us informed.