Stop NATO week of action: 30th Aug – 5th Sep
There will be an action camp in Tredegar Park, Newport. See here for a map, and here for public transport directions and here for details of a minibus being run. This is where our info-point will be throughout the week of action, which will be the first point of contact for people who want to get organised and help out with events. There will be loads of workshops, skill-shares and gigs throughout the week. Despite what it might say on the camp website (which may not have been updated more recently than this page!) we are not near running out of space for accommodation. The camp operates a safer spaces agreement. It also has its own website where more details can be found.
Clicking on the link for each event will bring up more details on the actions planned for each day, along with workshops and other events at the camp. Major events of the week include the big demo in Newport on the Saturday the 30th and the mass action on Thursday the 4th. Events organised by other groups are listed further down this page.
- Fri 29th Aug: Help set up the camp.
- Sat 30th Aug: Radical bloc will join demo against NATO in Newport. Click the link for details on transport etc.
- Sun 31st Aug: Day of action against drones, securitisation and policing.
- Mon 1st Sep: Day of action against austerity, benefit cuts and evictions.
- Tue 2nd Sep: No Borders South Wales day of action.
- Wed 3rd Sep: Day of skillshares and action training.
- Thu 4th Sep: Mass action to disrupt the summit. Further details near the time. Affinity group actions to help disrupt the summit also welcome!
- Fri 5th Sep: Affinity group actions against capitalism, the state and NATO; get together with your mates and organise your own action.
- Sat 6th Sep: Help pack up the camp.
- 10am to 2pm: (TBC) Legal Observer Training from the Welsh GBC
3pm: “Chelsea Manning” Workshop
4pm (TBC): “worker’s power in under an hour” with the IWW
Tuesday: against racism, prisons and borders
- 3pm (TBC): “No Borders Morocco” talk.
- 4pm: “Why No Borders?” Workshop.
- 5pm: “Why Race Matters?” Workshop.
Wednesday: prepare for action
- 10am to 2pm (TBC): Legal Observer Training from the Welsh GBC
- 12 Noon to 1:30pm: “Challenging schedule 7″ with Corporate Watch: the police routinely misuse terrorism act powers to question activists at borders. This workshop will share strategies for coping with police questioning.
- 3pm to 7pm: “Public Order Training” skillshare with the Welsh GBC
- 7pm to 8pm: “Know Your Rights” Q&A with the Welsh GBC
Events organised by other groups
- 8-29 Aug: The “Long March On Newport”, a series of relay walks/bike rides converging on Newport in the weeks before the summit, doing outreach and public events along the way.
- Sat 30th Aug: A big demo in Newport, five days before the summit starts.
- Sun 31st Aug: An international counter-summit in Cardiff.
- A mass sing, organised by the Campaign Choirs Network, and a performance of “Trident: A British War Crime“.
- No to NATO are also planning various other events – see the calendar on their website.
If your group is planning something that you want us to announce here, email stopnatocymru at riseup dot net.