ASU police: 3 students robbed at gunpoint on Sunday morning 9-24-17
This event happened recently, but it’s nothing new at the Arizona State University in Tempe where the Arizona State University Police Department has a mandatory staffing requirement that has been in jeopardy of not being reached for over a decade. Did they have two officers on or one officer on as is the norm for the Polytechnic, West, and Downtown campuses? Most likely. Were the few officers on duty that evening running traffic stops far off campus where they aren’t serving a purpose for the university? Most likely. That’s been going on for years because incompetent university police management can’t focus on the job that needs to get done.
This armed robbery:
Other Arizona State University robberies, murders:
ASU police: 3 students robbed at gunpoint on Sunday morning
Three Arizona State University students were robbed at gunpoint near the Tempe campus early Sunday morning, according to ASU police.
The first call came from the area of First Street and Farmer Avenue just before 1:30 a.m., police said. The second came about an hour and a half later in the area of University Drive and Dorsey Lane.
In both cases, the students were robbed by men wearing dark clothing and masks. Police said they were unsure the two incidents were connected, however.
Arizona State Police say several people were robbed at gunpoint near the university’s Tempe campus early Sunday morning.
Officials received the first robbery call around 1:30 a.m. near 1st Street and Farmer Avenue, an ASU police spokesperson said. Two hours later, around 3 a.m., police received additional reports about students being robbed near University Drive and Rural Road.
The suspect involved in the first incident was described as being an African American man in his 20s, about 5’7” and 170 pounds. The second suspect was described as being an African American man in his 30s, about 5’7” and a medium build.
Both suspects were seen wearing dark-colored clothing and masks, however, it’s unknown if these two incidents are connected.
Anyone with information about the robberies is used to call the ASU Police Department immediately.
The Lodge, a bar near where the first robbery occurred.
Management said they’re planing to add additional security in light of what happened to make sure customers and employees stay safe.
ASU Police are offering tips to students on campus:
- Be aware of your surroundings when traveling through campus.
- If you see someone or something suspicious, report it.
- Be aware of Emergency Call Box locations.
- Always use the “buddy system” after dark.
- Utilize the ASU Safety Escort Service.
The Integrity Report on the ASU Police Department is offering tips to students on campus:
- Be aware of your police department’s mismanagement, low staffing, and high turnover.
- If you see a police officer on campus go play the lottery, it’s rare indeed.
- Be aware that Emergency Call Box locations are no substitute for adequate policing practices.
- Always use the “buddy system” after dark, that way you and your friends can get victimized together.
- Utilize the ASU Safety Escort Service that has one van for 100,000 students.
- Tell your parents about your safety concerns and go to a university that puts a priority on your safety.
- Realize these are serious crimes where students on the ASU Tempe campus are killed, don’t let that be you or your loved ones.
- We would have added all the sexual assaults, all the unsolved, un-investigated ones, shoddy investigated ones, but those are too numerous to list.